[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Tue Aug 2 00:31:12 EDT 2005

Sujata,

I may have misunderstood, but I took Kevin's point this way: Kevin is
asking about people's understandings of the concept of "inspiration"
_during a particular time span_. He is interested in "pre-exilic
Hebrew understandings" of the notion, if we have any data for that.
Since the end of the "exile" is dated to c. 538 BCE (the "Edict of
Cyrus," per Ezra 1), and since the New Testament letters to Timothy
were definitely written no earlier than c. 50 CE (and probably at
least a couple of decades later than that), Kevin is merely stating a
historical fact to say that "[2 Timothy] was written 500+ years after
the [Babylonian exile]." In that light, 2 Timothy sheds no light on
what Kevin is asking about: "pre-exilic Hebrew understandings" of the
concept of "inspiration." I don't believe that your harsh dismissal
of his statement is warranted, since all he is trying to do is limit
the historical scope of his inquiry.

Best wishes,

Chris

--