[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Mon Aug 1 22:50:55 EDT 2005

Shoshanna,

I am not sure what you mean, or perhaps you are not sure what I mean,
or both. It seems to me a simple, logical fact, indeed almost a
matter of definition (not an "idea" or "theory"), that the collection
we call the Tanakh could not have existed as such--I mean as a
completed collection--until after all of the individual parts thereof
were written. I suppose one could envision a kind of "rolling corpus"
of scriptures to which writings were added one by one--and in fact
something sort of like that may be part of the "canonical process" by
which the various books within the Tanakh were combined to become the
Tankah--but earlier stages in that rolling corpus would still not be
the "Tanakh" or "Hebrew Bible" (as we know it) until all the books
had been added. This seems to me a simple truism. But again, if I
have totally missed your point, I apologize for that.

Chris