[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Stephen Segall segall at umich.edu
Mon Aug 1 09:33:31 EDT 2005

As I stated in a previous e-mail, the pronunciations were written down by
native English speakers in the English alphabet before the invention of a
Cherokee alphabet. These native English speakers lived among the Cherokee
and spoke their language. The pronunciation has been preserved by native
Cherokees to this day, but the earlier pronunciation may be more reliable
as being closer to the original.

The hypothesis that this pronunciation was given to the Cherokees by
missionaries does not hold up because the legends of the Cherokee religion
do not include any reference to Jesus, which certainly would have been the
case if the source were missionaries.

With regard to James Read dismissing the reference and website I sited as
a source of information, I would say you can't judge a book by its title,
and the remark was quite arrogant and inappropriate. The website was
www.etzhaimpress.com and you can judge for yourself.