[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Mon Aug 1 02:06:23 EDT 2005

RE: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciationNo, Iao can't be verb YHWH, since he was likely pronounced then, at least in Clement's mileau. Anyway, that verb cannot be pronounced as Iao by anyone who knows Hebrew.

Vadim Cherny

  IAO is evidently a transliteration of YaHoW which could
  well be a shortened form of YaHoWaH (the origianl verb).

  Furthermore, this shortened form is well attested in
  theophoric components of many hebrew names where it is
  reasonably assumed that the correct has been preserved to
  the extent that evolution of pronuniciation permits.

  Therefore, I find your argument to be weak.