[b-hebrew] Samaritan Pentateuch

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 18 08:59:35 EDT 2004

On 15/10/2004 21:51, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/15/2004 9:43:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>tlt at teol.ku.dk writes:
>

>>I was only saying that--like the massoretic of the Aleppo and Leningrad
>>codices, the Samaritan Pentateuch was a medieval manuscript. I have no doubt
>>that it--like the massoretic--reflects a very early form of the Pentateuch
>>

>Well, where there are differences between the Masoretic version and the
>Septuagint, the Samaritan Pentateuch usually agrees with the latter.

I find this statement extremely surprising, almost the opposite of what
I understood. I am away from reference books at the moment. Do you have
any confirmation of this?

I accept that there are a few cases where LXX agrees with Sam against
MT, but have a special significance because of their rarity, indicating
an error in the MT. At least, that is how I understood the evidence.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/