[b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 11 15:53:55 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>I have no problem viewing post-Esilic Hebrew as
>post-Exilic Jewish Latin. As such, one cannot
>rule out the possibility that GDD in the
>Damascus Document as an Aramaic loan word or
>backwards development from a noun.

HH: But you are depending on that idea for your
position, and the odds seems against it. And did
you see the posts to Dave showing that scholars
have concluded that Hebrew remained a spoken
language into the second century A.D. at least?

>As I stated before, when I research the
>definition of a lexeme and find that the
>majority of uses, like 90% or thereabouts,
>clearly have one definition but a few seem to
>have a different one, I then look at those
>outlyers and ask "Have I understood all the
>other terms in the context correctly?" "Is this
>an example of metaphoric or indirect speech?",
>only after ruling out misunderstanding or
>metaphoric use do I look at having a different
>definition.
>
>I don’t understand why you put so much effort to
>defend a dictionary definition when the evidence
>for it is weak, at best.

HH: I wanted to make sure you had all the
information I could give you so that you could
make an informed decision. You reject lexicons,
but the translations also see a GDD meaning "band
together."

NASB Jer 5:7: "Why should I pardon you? Your sons
have forsaken Me And sworn by those who are not
R235 gods. When I had fed them to the full, They
committed adultery And trooped to the harlot's
house.

NRSV Jer 5:7: How can I pardon you? Your children
have forsaken me, and have sworn by those who are
no gods. When I fed them to the full, they
committed adultery and trooped to the houses of
prostitutes.

NIV Jer 5:7: "Why should I forgive you? Your
children have forsaken me and sworn by gods that
are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet
they committed adultery and thronged to the
houses of prostitutes.

NLT: "How can I pardon you? For even your
children have turned from me. They have sworn by
gods that are not gods at all! I fed my people
until they were fully satisfied. But they thanked
me by committing adultery and lining up at the
city's brothels.

NKJV: "How shall I pardon you for this? Your
children have forsaken Me And sworn by those that
are not gods. When I had fed them to the full,
Then they committed adultery And assembled
themselves by troops in the harlots' houses.

KJV: Jer. 5:7 How shall I pardon thee for this?
thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them
that are no gods: when I had fed them to the
full, they then committed adultery, and assembled
themselves by troops in the harlots' houses.

Good News: The Lord asked, "Why should I forgive
the sins of my people? They have abandoned me and
have worshiped gods that are not real. I fed my
people until they were full, but they committed
adultery and spent their time with prostitutes.

NAB: Why should I pardon you these things? Your
sons have forsaken me, they swear by gods that
are not. I fed them, but they committed adultery;
to the harlot's house they throng.

Douay-Rheims: How can I be merciful to thee? thy
children have forsaken me, and swear by them that
are not gods: I fed them to the full, and they
committed adultery, and rioted in the harlot's
house.

HH: The HCSB takes a position with the idea of
"gash themselves," but I think they're wrong:

7   Why should I forgive you? Your children have
abandoned Me and sworn by those who are not
gods.[1]  I satisfied their needs, yet they
committed adultery; they gashed themselves[2] at
the prostitute's house.

HH: The outstanding commentator Keil in the
1800's understood the verb to imply that they
"crowd into the house of the harlot, i.e. go
thither in crowds." He takes it as "carnal
uncleanness" according to 5:8b:

Jer. 5:8 They were as fed horses in the morning:
every one neighed after his neighbour's wife.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard