[b-hebrew] Intermediate Hebrew Books?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Nov 25 11:36:07 EST 2004

Ken,
When you describe J-M as "newer" do you mean "newer than WOC" or "newer than
GKC"?  I know that Jouon is much older than WOC, but I'm also wondering how
much revising Muraoka did on it, and how much is just translation into
English?  I've used the older Jouon before but not the J-M upgrade; could
some folks give me your reviews of it?

On Thursday 25 November 2004 07:34, Ken Penner wrote:
> For intermediate textbooks, I've seen people use Van der Merwe, Naudé, and
> Kroeze’s A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar (Sheffield: Continuum, 1999).
> I'm not sure I'd recommend it above IBHS (=WOC), for the material IBHS
> covers. IBHS does not cover morphology, so it needs to be supplemented by
> Joüon-Muraoka (newer) or Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley (older).
>
> Ken Penner
> McMaster/Hebrew
>
> > I'm currently reading Intro to Biblical Hebrew Syntax in
> > order to complete my knowledge of Biblical Hebrew. Are there
> > any other works that I should read along with this one in
> > order to get an advanced knowledge of Hebrew?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"No good.  Hit on head."   -Gronk