Fwd: [b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Nov 22 06:33:47 EST 2004

On 22/11/2004 09:44, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

>Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>(Quoting me)
>>

>>>Loprieno's phonetic transcription of Coptic certainly has no
>>>theta, ...
>>>

>>Thanks for the clarification. The Coptic alphabet, according to
>>http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, certainly
>>seems to have a theta (although variously names thethe, thita,
>>tutte, tida) which clearly corresponds in shape, position in the
>>alphabet and numeric value with the Greek theta. If this document
>>is in fact based on false information, there may just be time to
>>stop the letter being separately encoded in Unicode, but it looks
>>to me like it is clearly attested.
>>

>The text sample does not include this letter, among others.  I
>suppose now it's not meant to be all inclusive, but just to give a
>general idea of the sound.

What do you mean? Figure 8, word 4, letter 2, figure 12 Coptic text word
7 letter 2, figure 15 word 5 letter 4 all look like theta. Are you
really trying to deny the existence of theta (as a letter rather than a
sound) in the Coptic alphabet?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/