[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Nov 16 19:21:46 EST 2004

On 16/11/2004 23:44, Karl Randolph wrote:

> [...]
Indeed. I now realise that the transliteration would have been in the
opposite direction, Greek authors e.g. Herodotus who wrote about these
Persian kings transliterating the Hebrew or Aramaic version of the name.
They were likely to have seen the latter, but then it would have been
more like the modern square shape than the palaeo-Hebrew shape, and
anyway you said that the Aramaic spelling was different. So probably
this argument breaks down.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/