[b-hebrew] musical instruments ??

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Nov 9 01:10:19 EST 2004

To all:

Has there been any study of all the different instruments mentioned in Tanakh? Particularly in the psalms there are instruments mentioned, but what are they? Just for amazement (amazed, we got to the end of the piece together), I play a couple instruments, so it is more than just passing curiosity.

Some instruments I think I have found include )YLT , GTYT , YDWTWN , KSH , KTP , MXLT , MN [a stringed one?] , NXYLWT , (WGB [possibly one with a soft, seductive sound, not loud and brassy] , (%WR [ten stringed harp] , $W$N [a type of wind instrument ??] , $LY$ [balalaika, or similar three stringed instrument?] , $MYNYT [eight stringed instrument ??] , T$XT . That's not counting the $WPR and XCCRH which are known. Any idea what these unknown (by me) instruments may be?

Karl W. Randolph.