[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: bruises?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon May 24 08:59:12 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>Would you remind me of ANY instance when the transformations you describe
>pushed out dagesh hazak?

HH: I don't know how to research such a thing without considerable
effort. Not that many words have alternative spellings, and then I
would have to research why the alternative spellings were used. I
told you I did not understand exactly why the alternative spelling
was used here, and I gave what I felt might be possible reasons.
Perhaps the alternative spelling was used for another reason
altogether. But the fact is that the lexicons and commentaries accept
that this was an alternative spelling for a word meaning "stripe,
blow." I have checked three lexicons. several commentaries, and many
translations.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard