[b-hebrew] Hebrew & Habiru

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Sun May 23 16:22:43 EDT 2004

I think it is interesting to note that  in the OT
Israelites almost never refer to themselves as ?Hebrews?
among themselves.  In almost ever entry for ?Hebrew? or
?Hebrews? it is either an Egyptian or Philistine who refers
to the Israelites as ?Hebrews?.  When Israelites do use the
term ?Hebrew? to describe themselves, they are speaking to
an Egyptian or Philistine.  The main exception involves
purchased ?Hebrew? slaves who must be freed in their
seventh year (Exd 21:2 , Deu 15:12, Jer 34:9 Jer 34:14).
Since it seems likely that the Philistines were at some
point employed by the Egyptians as regional surrogates, it
would not be surprising that they would use an Egyptian
term to describe the Israelites.  Thus it seems that the
term ?Hebrew ? was not one the Israelites used for
themselves but was ?given? to them by others, the Egyptians
it would seem.

> From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>
> Date: 2004/05/22 Sat PM 10:14:35 GMT
> To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: [b-hebrew] Habiru/Apiru/Ibrim (was: Date of the
Jericho Battle)

> OK, let's do it.
>
> My impression has always been that the initial connection
was made simply because, to the European scholars who first
translated the el-Amarna letters, "Habiru" sounded  lot
like "Hebrew". However, even assuming an etymological
connection between (PR and (BR,
> a. A careful analysis of the EA texts finds no mention of
the Apiru as "tribes", "invaders", "conquerors" or anything
else that is similar to the biblical account of the
conquest. Many of the cities mentioned in the conquest
story, such as Jericho, Ai, Gibeon, Hebron, Debir, Shimron,
Achshaph are not mention in the EA texts (and indeed many
were not even settled at the time).
> b. The term "Ibri" and its uses in the Bible are also
unclear. DOES it refer to an "ethnicity"? Is it a social
status?
> c. IF the EA letters were to be taken as evidence of a
"Hebrew" invasion of Canaan during the 14th century, such
an invasion had no real effect: the "wave" of destructions,
the appearance of "Israelite" settlements in the hill
country and the end of Egyptian rule of the country all
began in the 12th century.

> Yigal

about a century either way it would not
>   make a difference, as there is NO archaeological OR
textual evidence of any
>   appearance of anything that anyone could identify as
"Israelites" until the
>   very end of the 13th century.
>
>   Yigal"
>         I believe you refer here to the the "Israel
Stele" by Merenptah; indeed late 13th cent., and there the
matter could rest.

>     But some timid souls would still support Th. Meek's
thesis, and he was not the first or the only one, that the
infamous Habiru of the Amarna tablets in the 14th century
were the Hebrews. He made this connection on clear
linguistic grounds, which  makes this worth discussion on
this list. And it would push back the external references
to biblical Hebrews by over a century. But please don't
tell Rainey (among those who violently deny any connection
with the Habiru) what I wrote here.