[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: bruises?

UUC unikom at paco.net
Sun May 23 04:40:47 EDT 2004

Dear Yigal,

To begin with, haburah is a different word from havurah, since otherwise you
cannot account for hatef (ex-kamatz) in havurah.
Now, two common instances of kamatz in this root are, of course, haver (thus
haverah, a wife of the youth) or hevrah (havurah), company or community,
which in this context is the man's sect. cf. Job34:8
But certainly not haburah, which is how many people prefer to read the word
to connect the chapter with the NT.

You may also consider a pattern of haburah usage along with peza, which is
not the case here.

>What do you get
> from "xaverah"?
This is a point. You check the translation against an interpretation.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny