[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Mon May 17 14:06:32 EDT 2004

> Dear Liz,
>
> >Sorry. I read the list of examples, I did not read your comments.
> >I don't agree that there is such a thing as an "intensive" plural
> >with nouns. I think the preferred reading is bamotav, his
> >sepulcher, or emend the text to the singular.
> >You object to emending the text, yet you willingly emend
> >  )et to )it, with. The Greek puts "the wicked" in the
> >accusative case. The Greek has "He will give the wicked instead
> >of his grave."  I agree with Vadim that the Hebrew is past tense,
> >but I don't know how to put "the wicked" in the accusative.
> >He put the wicked (in) his grave?
>
> HH: 1) "Intensive plural" is not only a category of nouns recognized
> by older and still honored grammarians such as Gesenius, but also of
> current ones like Waltke and O'Connor. See Biblical Hebrew Syntax
> 7.4.3 and 14.2c.
OK. I am familiar with plurals of majesty; I didn't know the name
"intensive plural." I don't see that any of their examples apply here
however.

> 2) The form )eT that appears twice in Isa 53:9 is the normal form for
> the preposition "with" when it is preceded by a maqqeph. See
> Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon under the preposition )eT, where that is
> the first fact given about the word.
Yes, but why then does that not come across in the Greek?
They have no preposition "with" and they put "wicked" in
the accusative. But it is impossible to read this way.
My teachers taught me to read the consonantal text when there's
a problem anyway.
Best,
Liz Fried