[b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Mar 30 07:03:00 EST 2004

On 29/03/2004 19:36, Dora Smith wrote:

>Yours,
>Dora Smith
>Austin, Texas
>villandra at austin.rr.com

Dora, I am sorry for the confusion. It is now clear to me what the
problem was. The Hebrew you were sending was not in Unicode, but in a
non-standard encoding (possibly using Unicode private use area
characters) which can be read only by those with the non-standard fonts
you have. See my previous posting for more details of how to set up
standard fonts and how to type with them. If you do this, Outlook
Express supports Unicode Hebrew.

>>As there are plenty of free e-mail clients now available which do
>>support Hebrew, I think it is reasonable to ask those interested in
>>Hebrew to install one. After all, if one is really interested in a
>>subject one needs to acquire the basic tools for that subject.
>>

>Can you please recommend some?

Outlook Express is a good start. Or try Mozilla.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/