[b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Thu Mar 11 10:42:57 EST 2004

Dear Dave,

We cannot today know exactly how vowels in the past were pronounced,
therefore I qualified my statements by using the words "the same, or
almost the same".  My argument regarding the Masoretes, and that
WAYYIQTOL is non-existent before their time, does not rely on the
assumption that shewa and patah were pronounced similarly, or almost
similarly. But the argument rests on the manuscript evidence that we
have and on the study of and comparison of 70.000 Hebrew verbs
The assumption of similar pronunciation is just a way to try to
understand Masoretic reasoning and procedures.

Some sources which are worth reading in connection with the
pronunciation of shewa are:  Kurt Levy (1936). Zur Masoretischen
Grammatik, Bonner Orientalistische Studien, Heft 15; E. A. Speiser
(1925-26, 1932-33) "The Pronunciation of Hebrew According to the
Transliterations of the Hexapla" The Jewish Quarterly Review, New
Series XVI 343-382, XXIII 233-265, and XXIV 9-46; T. Harviainen
(1977). "On vowel reduction in Hebrew", Orientalia Suecana, 167-174;
I. Yeivin (1980). "Introduction to the Tiberian Massora"; and  G.
Kahn (2000). The Early Karaite Tradition of Hebrew Grammatical
Thought.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli