[b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Mar 2 19:35:15 EST 2004

This raises an interesting question: how far
apart in language change can we get before we
have confusion?

Let’s take English as an example:

For me, Shakespear and the KJV translation are
actually harder to read than Chaucer. The
former sound so similar to modern English that
the differences rise up to bite me. I have
never been taught where Elizabethan English
differs from modern English, therefore I’m not
looking for those differences, therefore I
don’t recognize many of them, with the result
that I often misunderstand passages. With
Chaucer, OTOH, I don’t expect to understand
it, I am more ready to look up what I don’t
understand and as a result I make fewer
mistakes. Beowulf is closer to modern
Norwegian than modern English, therefore I
read it as a foreign, cognate language. (By
the way, what’s a “grendel” or “grindel”?
Apparently it was a large, nocturnal, bipedal
carnivore that had large jaws but small and
weak forearms which tended to live in
marshlands. Similarly, how many animals
mentioned in Tanakh are now extinct?)

If a person is taught modern Hebrew and
Biblical Hebrew where the differences in
grammar, overlapping but different vocabulary,
are taught, sort of like the differences
between modern English and Chaucerian, a
student who is not a scholar may be able to
keep them apart, but if he is taught all these
plus all the intermediate steps, will not his
understanding end up being a rather mish mash
of all and not really understanding any of
them well? That is, unless he has the time to
become a scholar?

As for Biblical Hebrew, its use seems
remarkably consistent with little evidence of
dialectal differentiation. The biggest
difference that I noticed is chronological:
books written before Galut Babel such as
Isaiah and Jeremiah, tended towards complexity
while those written afterwards, such as Ezra
and Nehemiah, tended towards greater
simplicity. Yet even there, the grammar and
vocabulary tended to remain consistent.

Karl W. Randolph.