[b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Mar 2 16:58:05 EST 2004

Dear Philip:

This has two answers, depending on where one
wants to go with his studies. There are
advantages and disadvantages no matter which
side of the coin one chooses.

I personally have chosen the route of knowing
only Biblical Hebrew. Part of that was
unintended—I had little access to other
Semitic languages for many years, and part of
that was intentional—I wanted to react to the
language as closely as possible as would a
native speaker of Biblical Hebrew. Knowing
other Semitic languages would have made it
more difficult to achieve my second goal.

For example, I am a native speaker of English.
I also speak German and Norwegian, and have a
reading knowledge of French, all of which are
cognate languages of English. My use of
English is not pure, but influenced by those
cognate languages. Likewise, were I to study
cognate languages to Biblical Hebrew, like
modern Hebrew, Arabic or others, it would make
it harder to read Tanakh as I would not have
as clear an expectation of what I am reading
(something that is important to me, as I have
dyslexia, which I was able to overcome by
reading in context: not having a clear context
to look forward to makes it harder to read a
text).

Yigal mentioned that knowing cognate languages
helps in a scholarly analysis of a language,
further there is much literature published in
modern Hebrew concerning the Biblical times,
its archeology and language, much of which is
never translated to English.

My conclusion is that there are advantages and
disadvantages to either route, and what you
plan to do with your study of Biblical Hebrew
should end up as a guide as to which route to
take.

Karl W. Randolph.