[b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Jun 28 12:11:55 EDT 2004

Hmm, good point about the Persian period bullae.  Regarding Arad, I wonder how
much spelling in Hebrew might change (at least along such lines) in one
century; it does certainly seem to be the case that a century of change for
ancient Hebrew wasn't anything like, say a century of change for English, the
process for Hebrew seems to have moved much more slowly.  I might quibble
about the time of composition of the texts, but that's off-topic both for the
list and for the subject, so I'll refrain.  In any case, it would appear that
we don't actually have enough information to determine what factors went into
the variations of spelling.  Being a big fan of the simplest explanation
possible, I tend to vote for the idea that they're merely two different
spellings, either one acceptable in polite company (so to speak), with one or
the other gaining popularity for a time from one period to the next.  I go by
either Dave or David, and the only thing to be inferred from people's use of
one or the other is simple preference.  Perhaps such a thing might be
analogous to the YHDH/YHWDH variation?  YMMV.