[b-hebrew] Shva merahephet

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 24 11:29:02 EDT 2004

On 24/06/2004 07:29, George F. Somsel wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:47:13 +0300 "VC" <vadim_lv at center-tv.net> writes:
>

>>Dear Listmembers,
>>
>>Did any of you ever study the device of shva merahephet, the
>>differenc between calBi (my dog), and calVei(dogs)? Any information
>>on this?
>>

>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Vadim Cherny
>>

>_________________
>
>I think this is the second time you asked this question since you
>received no reply previously.
>
>You use a term for the sewa which I may perhaps have heard but cannot
>recall.  Then there is the matter of your example.  I find no case of KLB
>used in the Tanak with a pronominal suffix.  Are you referring to whether
>or not a dagesh appears in the following consonant?  Your transliteration
>is somewhat idiosycratic.  I would suggest that you take the time to
>review the convention used on the list out of courtesy to the other
>members who must attempt to discipher your meaning.
>
>gfsomsel

No such distinction with KELEB, but there is with MELEK, which has:

1st person suffix form MAL:K.IY with dagesh
Construct plural form MAK:K"Y with no dagesh (contraction from absolute
plural M:LFKIYM )

I guess this is the distinction Vadim is asking about. But I haven't
studied the distinction.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/