[b-hebrew] Re: EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14

Eduard C Hanganu eddhanganu at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 17:32:22 EDT 2004

Dear Mr. Somsel:

Thanks for your help with this. It makes good sense.

Regards,

Eduard

From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel at juno.com>
To: eddhanganu at hotmail.com
CC: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:39:31 -0400

This is fairly obviously referring to the desecration of the temple by
Antiochus Epiphanes.  I base my comment upon the history rather than upon
a purely lexical or grammatical basis.  According to the Anchor Bible
Dictionary the temple was cleansed 3 yrs to the day after it had been
desecrated.  2300 days would be ~6 1/3+ yrs if based on a 360 day year
and ~6 1/3- yrs based on a 365 day year.  I would therefore suspect that
what is in view is a total combining days + evenings which would more
nearly approximate 3 yrs (perhaps rounded to 2,300?).  Whether one takes
this as a predictive prophecy or as post eventum, it is to be expected
that it should conform closely to reality.

gfsomsel
_________