[b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 21 17:26:35 EDT 2004

On 21/06/2004 10:52, Dora Smith wrote:

>Oh.  OK.  What I actually wanted to know was what the other languages do for
>plural endings.
>
>If I understand correctly, you are saying that the yim endings in Hebrew
>have nothing to do with the words being in the plural form.   Yet my
>introductory Hebrew texts say precisely that they are only in the plural
>form.

The words are plural in *form*, which implies that for all grammatical
purposes they are plural (but see below). I never said that they weren't
plural in *form* in Hebrew. The point is rather that they are not plural
in *meaning*, and that there are no singular forms corresponding to
these plurals - at least not in Hebrew.

Actually strictly they are not plural but dual in form. Plural forms end
in stressed -im or -ot. These words end in unstressed -im which forms
part of the -ayim dual ending. The construct forms of both also
correspond to a dual form: mey and sh:mey, not mayey or sh:mayey.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/