[b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 17 07:33:13 EDT 2004

On 16/06/2004 22:04, Philip Engmann wrote:

> For in fact there are Greek fragments from the 1st century CE,
>
> among the DSS, and I rather think there are some older ones. But these
>
> fragments are clearly different from the text now published as the LXX,
>
> e.g. Rahlfs' edition.
>

> *1. Do you have any examples?*
>

> Philip Engmann.

I didn't have anything immediately to hand, but from a quick search came
across http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/downloads/inductive/app1.pdf, which
gives three different texts of one chapter (21 verses). Note the following:

> The Lucianic Recension
> LXXL differs from LXX in every verse except verse 2, a total of
> forty-nine deviations.

The Lucianic recension is not strictly an older MS. I don't have details
to hand on the readings of the really old MSS like Papyrus Fouad, but I
know you will find significant differences from Rahlfs' text.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/