[b-hebrew] The island of Tyre

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jun 10 09:40:46 EDT 2004

Sorry Vadim,

I thought that we might have a scoop here, if we could prove that the
"Alexandrian mole" is a myth. So I speant a couple of hours in the library,
looking up fairly recent books about the archaeology and history of Tyre. In
all of the relevant ones, including several reports by Pierre and Patricia
Bikai, who have been digging at Tyre for years, it is made clear that the
geology confirms that island was, indeed connected to the coast
artificially. The island and the immediate coast are kurkar, by the way. The
Limestone and chalk only start beyond the coastal strip.

I also had a look at Shalmanessar III's "Balawat Gate" from Khorsabad. The
relief clearly shows King Ettobaal of Tyre loading tribute on a boat, to be
taken to Shalmanessar, who is waiting on the coast across a strip of water.

Yigal