[b-hebrew] Aspect

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Wed Jun 9 10:28:29 EDT 2004

Dear Eduard,

>Dear Mr. Furuli:
>

>In his 'Student's Dictionary of Language and Linguistics' defines
>aspect as 'a grammatical category which deals with distinctions in
>the wayin which an action  or a situation is regarded as being
>distributed in time'. He also mentions that 'traditional grammar
>often confused aspect with tense, but the two are quite distinct'(p
>21).

This definition i general and therefore gives little information, but
I see no problems with its words.

>I have been wondering recently if Hebrew has indeed 'aspect' in the
>classical sense. Are 'perfect' and 'imperfect' indeed the two
>'aspects' of the Hebrew language? And how are they related to the
>'telic/atelic' and 'bound/unbound' notions?

I define Aktionsart as the kind of action that is signalled by the
lexical meaning of the verb.  Durativity, dynamicity, telicity, and
punctiliarity are typical Aktionsart terms.  The concept stativity
must be put in the same slot,  but it cannot be said to be an
Aktionsart because it does not signal any action.  I define the
concepts iterative, habitual; and the Vendlerian characteristics such
as achievements, accomplishments and activities, not as Aktionsart
(which is an objective characteristic caused by a single factor), but
as *procedural traits*, because they are functions of several
factors.  The interplay of aspect, tense, Aktionsart; and the
difineteness/indefiniteness of the verbal arguments, adverbials etc.
contribute to signalling different procedural traits.  I will
generally avoid boundedness/unboundedness in connection with Hebrew
verbs, because any Hebrew verb form, finite and infinite can (with a
few exceptions) express any bounded or unbounded event, past, present
and future.  Whereas in English the perfective aspect can only
portray bounded events and the imperfective aspect can only portray
unbounded events.  (Exceptions can occur in any language, but to be
accepted they must be linguistically explained.)

>One of the verbs that have preocupied me in this sense is the
>NITZDAK of Daniel 8:14 ( the niphal waw consec perfect 3rd person
>masculine singular of the verb TZADEIK). NITZDAK appears to have an
>'imperfect' aspect. Does this mean that the verb describes an 'open'
>event with beginning but no end? The verb phrase 'the sanctuary
>shall be vindicated' seems to suggest a telic, bound event with a
>relatively short duration indicated by the noun phrase 'the
>sanctuary.' How would you personally describe the action of the verb
>NITZDAK in the context of Daniel chapter eight, and especially in
>reference to the discourse fragment  of Daniel 8:9-14?

The verb you mention in Dan 8:14 I analyze as a QATAL with a prefixed
conjunction, which means that it has the perfective aspect.  One
possible translation is:  "and the holy (place) will be brought into
its right condition".  Because the verb may signify a state, the
situation can be compared with all the situations in Kings when
someone "bacame king" (was brought into the state of being king).  So
what is signified by the noun QD$ was brought into the state of being
right (a thing can hardly become righteous).

Best regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo