[b-hebrew] The islands

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 8 18:36:37 EDT 2004

On 08/06/2004 11:06, VC wrote:

>>Actually, Vadim, until the construction of the Aswan Dam in the 1960's,
>>

>the
>

>>Levantine coast was regularly supplied with sand and silt, washed in from
>>the Nile. The causeway's being filled in by sand is perfectly reasonable.
>>

>I'm not sure, but from my experience of living near the sea, this does not
>seem probable. I doubt seashore increases anywhere.

There are places on the coast of England where the coast has advanced by
several miles since Roman times. Also many Roman harbours on the
Mediterranean e.g. at Ephesus are now several miles inland. I was
recently on a piece of land about 100 yards wide which has appeared
within the last five years, by natural causes although perhaps partly
because of harbour works further up the coast. Around the world, when an
artificial causeway is built it is common for a bank of new land to be
formed, initially sand and small stones but gradually being taken over
by vegetation.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/