[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at isot.com
Tue Jun 8 17:54:08 EDT 2004

Let me see if I understand your position.  A Jewish boy from Nazareth started a sect in the national boundaries  of the Jewish people but His disciples were not Jews?? These same disciples in manufacturing their history included a scandal concerning one of the leaders of that sect because he brought Gentiles into the sect without first converting them to Judaism.  Further, these disciples continued to debate the importance of the Torah to the Gentiles for several decades.  I will not speak for the other members of this list but I find this scenario laughable.

Now, concerning your comment that they garbled quotations I think several things must be considered.  First, it appears from early translations of the New Testament into Greek and  Aramaic that the  translators commonly quoted from the version of the Scriptures their audience was used to.  Second, there is evidence that Hebrew manuscripts were not as uniform as they are today. Which means that we cannot always tell whether a quotation was from a divergent form of the text or if it came from the LXX.  Third, there is a debate among scholars as to which language the people of Israel spoke.  Most have argued that they spoke Aramaic.  Others argue that they spoke Hebrew.  We do know that copies of the Scripture have been found in Aramaic.  We also know that there was a section of Jerusalem where the Jews were well acquainted with Greek.  When two or more translations of Scripture are held to be authoritative, it would be quite natural for the believers to paraphrase
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
>>I may understand when the earliest Christians, not well-acquianted with
the
>>Tanakh, put much stock in the title messiah. But I'm puzzled why this
title
>>is of importance to you.
>You seem to have a misunderstanding about who the earliest Christians were.
The earliest Christians were Jews.  Gentiles were not initially included in
the membership of the church. While it is true that some of them may not
have been well versed in the scripture, some of them were very well
educated.<

>>Surely, very odd Jews those have been. They did not know Tanakh, cited
garbled quotations of the verses the should have studied in childhood (if
you know about bar Sheta reforms) and were unobservant. Wishful thinking

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny