[b-hebrew] The islands

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 8 13:17:24 EDT 2004

On 08/06/2004 06:47, VC wrote:

>>>The translation of "coastland" is perfectly reasonable. However, can we
>>>disregard the established meaning of the word and attach it the sense,
>>>

>which
>

>>>we think suits it better? This approach can lead as far away.
>>>

>>HH: "Coastland" is a well-established meaning for the word.
>>

>Not in the conventional Hebrew dictionaries

I'm not sure what dictionaries you consider "conventional", but one of
the best respected in English for nearly 100 years has been
Brown-Driver-Briggs, and its gloss is "coast, region". If that's too
modern for you, try Strong: "dry land, a coast, an island"; or Davidson:
"habitable earth or land, coast, sea-coast, island".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/