[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Jun 7 17:10:16 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>I may understand when the earliest Christians, not well-acquianted with the
>Tanakh, put much stock in the title messiah. But I'm puzzled why this title
>is of importance to you.

HH; It is because of the figure who is identified
as such in the OT, and the importance he has for
all men, not just for the Jews.

>  You surely know that it was widely used; Isaiah
>allowed even Chaldeans their own moshia (which, according to him, was not
>forthcoming to save them).

HH: God called Cyrus His anointed one in the
sense that he was going to accomplish God's
purposes in a special way. While I don't agree
with Liz's theories that God took the kingship
away from the house of David and gave it to
Cyrus, she makes some good arguments in a
published paper that it would possible for Jews
to refer to Cyrus as their king. It would have
been possible for God to label Cyrus as
functioning in the role of His king.

>How does Acts 8 shed light on Isaiah, when even the quotation is brutally
>distorted?

HH: The translation is made from the LXX. The
author was a Gentile and doubtless was more
comfortable with the Greek.

>  Do you see any sense in the stupid question of the eunuch? Surely
>the prophet did not speak of himself being executed.

HH: Tradition has it that Isaiah was executed. If
one doesn't understand who the passage is
referring to, the prophet himself is certainly
one possibility among others.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard