[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Jun 7 14:45:21 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>  > HH: The fact that the Christian approach requires more assumptions
>  > does not necessarily make it weaker.

>Well, you studied logic, did you? More assumptions - weaker the argument. Or
>is the logic inapplicable here? Tertullian's argument about the absurdity
>still relied on logic.

HH: Reality trumps logic. If something is real
and you ignore it, you may miss something you
need.

>  >The most simple idea is not
>  > always correct. It may overlook some important fact.

>Taking the NT as a fact is itself an assumption.

HH: I said what is most simple "may" overlook
some important fact. This is common sense. I
don't need to study logic to know it.

>  >The claim of
>>  Christianity is that God was giving new revelation through Jesus
>>  Christ. The claim is that he was a prophet and in fact the Messiah
>  > prophesied in the OT.

>Only a prophet? Wow, you are very liberal. Every Muslim would agree with you
>:)

HH: I guess you missed the part about Jesus being the Messiah, too.

>  >So the addition you speak of, "axiom B," could
>>  actually be more truth and so could help one to understand the other
>  > truth ("axiom A") better.

>Yes, if we assume that axiom B is a truth. But, again, this is an
>assumption, and makes the argument logically inferior.

HH: But we should exact the assumption to see if
it is true. if it is, then we should not ignore
it.

>Substituting logic
>with belief remains the only option.

HH: If Jesus rose from the dead, then His claims
carry a lot of weight. There are a good many
reasons to believe that He rose again from the
dead.

>Uh, and one more thing, please: exactly what line of the NT let us
>understand the Tanakh better? Just any example, please.

Here's one relevant to your efforts on B-Hebrew:

Acts 8:30 ¶ Then Philip ran up to the chariot and
heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet.  "Do
you understand what you are reading?" Philip
asked.
Acts 8:31 ¶  "How can I," he said,  "unless
someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip
to come up and sit with him.
Acts 8:32 ¶ The eunuch was reading this passage
of Scripture:  "He was led like a sheep to the
slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is
silent, so he did not open his mouth.
Acts 8:33 In his humiliation he was deprived of
justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For
his life was taken from the earth."
Acts 8:34 ¶ The eunuch asked Philip,  "Tell me,
please, who is the prophet talking about, himself
or someone else?"
Acts 8:35 Then Philip began with that very
passage of Scripture and told him the good news
about Jesus.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard