[b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 14:44:56 EDT 2004

  For an opposing position one may consult J.C. De Moor  The Rise of Yahwism,  and especially the aptly titled chapter  3.: " The Crisis of Polytheism";
   or  W. Propp's article in Ugarit Forschung 31;
   or,briefly, in Kitchen's recent On The Reliability of the OT, pp. 330-332.
  I think their views deserve serious consideration and, in fact a  re-examination of the subject which is exactly what Propp has done in his paper (shades of Kaufmann and Albright and even Freud!)

  Uri

Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

....the
question is, what influence did the short lived "Amarna Revolution" have on
the eventual development of monotheism in Israel/Judah. My position would
be - none.

Yigal