[b-hebrew] Kadeshah & Zonah in Genesis 32 + More

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Jul 15 11:37:45 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 14:22, david.kimbrough at charter.net wrote:
> I have to disagree.
>
> 1) The earliest that Genesis 32 could have been written was during the
> exodus by Moses.  This means the conversations of the Adullamite with the
> unspecified individuals occurred hundreds of years prior, at the ealiest.
> It seems unlikely that Genesis 32 is a verbatim transcript of the
> conversations.

No, the earliest that the form of Genesis 32 that we have could have been
written was then.  But there is no reason why this author, whoever one may
assume that s/he was, wouldn't have used written sources from at or near the
time of the events.  It's possible that Gen 32 is a summary or an author's
construct, but it's equally possible that it is in fact a "verbatim
transcript" that Judah's family had preserved in a family record of some
kind.  We don't know, and we can't really assume one way or the other without
emphasizing that we are in fact assuming.

[snip]

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur