[b-hebrew] "Sodomite", Homosexuality, Prostitution

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Wed Jul 14 11:42:50 EDT 2004

The obvious and easy answer is that is why the word kadesh is often translated as "sodomite" (see subject line).  Nonetheless, while both men and women served as ritual prostitutes (this was fund raising activity for the cultists as well as a fertility rite) it is pretty clear that only men paid to participate in this ritual.  The more mundane commercial prostitutes of or both ancient and modern times, male and female, service an entirely male clientele.

In regard to Tamar, it must be remembered there is an entirely separate Hebrew word for a common whore derived from *zanah* (to be a whore).  Genesis makes it clear she is pretending to be a *kadeshah*. When Judah unknowningly had sexual relations with Tamar, he used the word *kadeshah* but when he sentences Tamar to death by burning, he uses the term *zanah*.