[b-hebrew] Amalekites again!

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jul 12 18:13:46 EDT 2004

On 12/07/2004 15:29, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> HH: The reason Israel is to remember Amalek is so that they will
> destroy them later when they are in a position to do so. God wants to
> judge Amalek. By destroying them Israel will as a result be
> instrumental in the memory of them fading.

Surely there is more to "blotting out the memory" than simply allowing
them to be forgotten - something which hasn't happened, and would in
fact have been more likely to happen if Moses had not commanded them to
be remembered! I expect that the meaning is in fact in this context more
like terminating their family line, with "memory" as a metonymy for
"posterity". In fact there may be a deliberate play on words between
ZEKER "memory", the word used in Deut 25:19, and ZAKAR "male". The
thought is obviously similar to 1 Kings 14:10 although the exact words
are different.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/