[b-hebrew] Re: evening & morning with sanctuary

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Jul 3 11:16:44 EDT 2004

Dear Eduard and Lira,

I support what George said just now, and one comment of Eduard's caught my eye:

>What could MEAN that the TAMID was TAKEN AWAY by
>the LITTLE HORN of Daniel 7: 8 and 8:9? Nothing
>less than the INTERRUPTION of the Sanctuary
>Service, the SHUTTING DOWN of the Sanctuary.
>According to the prophet Daniel’s vision in
>Chapter 8, the LITTLE HORN TOOK AWAY THE TAMID,
>that is, SHUT DOWN THE SANCTUARY.

HH: It is significant that the little horn of Dan
7:8 is not exactly the same little horn as in Dan
8:9. Daniel shows a pattern of four world
kingdoms before the end: Babylon, Persia, Greece,
and the unnamed fourth kingdom (Rome). The little
horn in Dan 7:8 is from the fourth kingdom, while
the little horn in Dan 8:9 is from the third
kingdom (Greece). This fact suggests that though
the little horns are similar, they are not
precisely the same. And it allows for a
distinction between the setting of Dan 8:14
(third kingdom) and the setting of Daniel 12 (the
end, thus the fourth kingdom).

HH: It seems helpful to distinguish between TMYD
used adverbially and TMYD used nominally. Eduard,
you make an interesting suggesting that the
phrase HTMYD refers to the entire sanctuary
ritual rather than just the daily offering. The
only places where the phrase occurs is in Daniel
(8:11-13; 11:31; 12:11). BDB defines it in these
places as the daily burnt-offering, saying that
this is how the Talmud uses the term as well.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard