[b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Fri Jul 2 15:42:00 EDT 2004

The mention in I Sam. 17:41 of a shield-bearer is, I suppose, not characteristic for the later-day hoplite tactics. The term hoplite may however come indeed from the haPleti (the Pleti).

It is rather the description of a more archaic fight tactic using a tower-shield (Turm-Schild), wherefore two warriors were needed, one of them being the shield-bearer.

Don´t forget, that this part of David´s story draws upon an older Vorlage, the resemblance to Sinuhe´s pertaining to the MB age being particularly strong.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart