[b-hebrew] Kirk Lowery's e-text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jan 21 12:46:47 EST 2004

On 21/01/2004 09:25, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>>===== Original Message From Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> =====
>>This is a copyright issue. These texts cannot be presented as BHS. But
>>Kirk Lowery's e-text is effectively identical to BHS although for legal
>>reasons it has been retyped from the Leningrad codex.
>>

>What makes it closer to BHS than to BHL?

Nothing! In principle, anyway. Well, except that some small changes have
been made in Dotan's BHL to make it acceptable for Jewish religious use.
But I think you will find that the only differences between Kirk's text
and the latest Westminster BHS distribution are where reading
differences have been flagged and noted in the text. They can't copy the
BHS text, but they can compare the two texts, and from this correct both
of them.

>[snipped]
>

>>But Kirk Lowery's text is
>>probably much closer to BHS than the old Oxford text is.
>>

>To read his Web site, it looks like his text has a lot of problems.

The main problems are probably in the XML. The underlying text is good.
There may also be unresolved issues in the conversion to Unicode. I note
from http://whi.wts.edu/WHI/Members/klowery/directorsBlog/blog that the
goal is now for a Unicode plain text version as well as an XML version.
But Kirk can comment further himself - I have changed the subject line
to attract his attention.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/