[b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Sun Jan 18 09:05:24 EST 2004

Trevor Peterson says:

4) I represent matres lectionis by writing the vowel according to the
equivalences given in #2
and following it with a superscript of the mater consonant.

This shows the reader both the consonantal writing and the Masoretic
vocalization
while still facilitating readability.

 It has the advantage over the SBL and CBQ system
that it distinguishes between, for instance, tsere-yod, tsere-he, and
segol-he.

As a person who goes to Strong's Concordance,
for Hebrew spelling,
I appreciate how James Strong  handles Matres lectionis.

However, my first impression is that showing the mater consonant
superscripted,
would be an improvement over James Strong's method

Strongs Hebrew word #5771b avown [2 Kings 7:9]
I assume that you would transliterate this as "awown" with the 2nd "w"
superscripted?
I think that a superscripted 2nd "w" would be more accurate, or more
understandable

Strong's Hebrew word #3091b Yehowshu'a
I think that a superscripted "w" would be more accurate, or more
undersatandable.
Would you transliterate the 'ayin as James Strong transliterates it?

Strong's Hebrew word #430 Elohiym
I think that a superscipted "y" would be more accurate, or more
understandable.

Strong's Hebrew word #136 Adonay
I think that a superscripted "y" would be more accurate, or more
understandable.

Dave