[b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 31 07:08:10 EST 2004

On 31/12/2004 04:23, Schmuel wrote:

>Schmuel
>Thanks, I didn't know we had Wycliffe online -- got it bookmarked.
>I thought he had only done a portion of Tanach, so I may have to check into that some.

Wycliffe and his followers did a whole Bible, in fact two versions I
think. Wycliffe himself was not the main translator but it was issued on
his authority.

>Schmuel
>Peter, I don't think you are remotely in sound statistics land :-)
>
>We have only four possible ways of handling the question that you isolated.
>Here are some of the most significant, and less related, English translations I could find -
>
> 6 historical biggies, 2 literal, and 3 other more recent
>
>1) Wonderful, Counsellor  --  Mighty, God -    Wycliffe
>2) Wonderful Counsellor   --  Mighty, God -
>
>3) Wonderful, Cousellor   --  Mighty God   -   ASV, KJB, Geneva, Douay, Youngs, WEB
>4) Wonderful Counsellor  --  Mighty God  -    NAS, Rotherdam, NIV, Tyndale, Matthew
>
>Well, its pretty clear that the separation of Mighty and God is the singular oddball anomaly,
>(understandably), coming from Wycliffe.
>
>Omitting such, we than have only two real possibilities, both frequently used.
>So seeing KJB and Douay match, (with the Geneva), should not be at all surprising,
>is reasonably likely, and not even remotely "highly improbable" :-)

Well, the improbability is resolved from the data which you give, that
the Geneva Bible before them inserted this first, and could be copied by
both KJV and Douay-Rheims. But then the Geneva Bible which you quote is
surely not the original unedited, as its spellings are certainly not
16th century ones, so I would want to check an original printing first,
as you have for KJV.

>Geneva - http://www.genevabible.org/files/Geneva_Bible/Old_Testament/Isaiah.pdf
>Tyndale - http://alleluya.com/ot/isaiah_9.html

But Tyndale never got as far as Isaiah, surely? It is clear from the
bottom of http://alleluya.com/ot/index.html that this "Tyndale" text is
in fact taken from Matthew's Bible, the same text which I quoted.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/