[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 22:58:45 EST 2004

  Sorry,  you attribute to me a view of somebody else, that's why I put it quotes, which I had criticized. If you still have the post, check it.

  Uri

Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com wrote:
In a message dated 12/24/2004 10:34:46 AM Central Standard Time, uhurwitz at yahoo.com writes:

..."The existing
evidence and lack of evidence strongly suggests Moses and the Exodus as a
pious fiction, or at most a gross exaggeration, constructed in the 8th-7th
centuries BCE (IMO, under Josiah) to give "history" to the group. "....

Targums tell of a story that all but ten Ephraimites returned to Egypt after a grumble with Moses in the wilderness.  This would have been during Ramesses 11's reign, c. 1299.  They were retained by force by Pharaoh's Ramesses 11 and Merenptah until his death.  It is inscribed upon Merenptah's tomb "Israel has no more seed,"  An obvious false claim.  There is your evidence that Israel was in Egypt, so much for pious fiction.  History put them in Egypt and the Bible gives us the Exodus.  If you believe this is just pious fiction why does anyone study it so hard?

Doug Pickrel
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, TX