[b-hebrew] red heifer

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Dec 23 00:52:52 EST 2004

Dear Jack,

That was just my point. All the Hebrew in Num. 19 says is that it must be a "red cow, that is unblemished, that has never been harnessed." Assuming that the English "heifer" means "a cow that has never had a calf" (which is not quite the same as "virgin"), I was wondering where the translators got the additional conditions from. I don't know of any Rabbibnic sources that add these conditions.

Yigal Levin