[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 22 10:57:31 EST 2004

On 22/12/2004 14:51, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> HH: Even if the ancient Jews did understand about women producing
> eggs, that is not chiefly what Lev 12:2 concerns, I think. It refers
> to a woman conceiving and bearing a child. Obviously a woman could
> produce eggs but not conceive; producing eggs does not automatically
> lead to giving birth. So the relevant point probably was, in in many
> other texts, that she conceived and bore. The Hiphil of ZR( here would
> seem to include the implanting of the male seed in the wall of the
> uterus.

Anachronism alert! The ancient Hebrews knew about semen and that its
transfer was a prerequisite for conception. But they knew nothing about
human eggs or implantation of anything in the walls of the uterus - that
was a 19th century discovery.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/