[b-hebrew] Re: Isaiah 53:8 lamo

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 22 07:20:18 EST 2004

On 22/12/2004 09:24, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Jack Kilmon wrote:
>

>>One's religious opinions should be disassociated from serious discussion
>>

>of
>

>>linguistics.  I'm sorry, but ALL of the above, including the homophobia
>>

>and
>

>>"designed language" stuff makes no sense whatsoever.
>>

>This brings us all the way back to the old discussion of the designed
>language. Silly as it may sound, I do adhere to this theory to considerable
>extent. It is beyond question that in many cases the third radical was added
>to the first two, forming a new root. ...

It is indeed quite likely that sometime in the misty prehistory of the
Afro-Asiatic languages, before the split between Semitic, Berber and
Egyptian (for these groups share the triliteral root structure), many
roots were composed from some kind of biliteral root plus a suffix
giving a more precise semantic - perhaps much as Greek, Latin, Russian
verbs etc are commonly made up of an often monosyllabic root with a
prefix giving a more precise semantic. The details of this process are
lost in the mists of time, probably irretrievably, although something
might be possible from comparative Afro-Asiatic studies.

But this is not evidence of deliberate design, in the precursors of
Hebrew any more than in Greek, Latin and Russian.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/