[b-hebrew] Fw: old coin

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Dec 6 23:07:04 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Yigal Levin
To: Joseph Fishkin, MD
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: old coin

Dear Yosi,

To me, it does not look like a coin at all, that is, not something with any monetary value. It's not "ancient"; the lettering is perfectly normal, if somewhat archaic, square Hebrwew script. The letters seem to make up various combinations of the divine name. My guess would be that it is a token or a medallion, perhaps an amulet that was supposed to have some sort of kabbalistic power. As a guess, it's no older than the 19th century.
Yigal