[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 12:33 (was Hebrew calendar)

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 20:17:47 EDT 2004

George and Peter,

The verb BD)A  is attested only one more time in the HB, in Neh  6:8,where it occurs again  exactly as a part of a phrase with MiLeV, except in the plural: ...MiLiBKa (aTah BoD)aM  -- "from your heart you invent them". Thus one deals here with an expression, though extremely rare.

The equivalent of the English "alone" can not possibly  be assumed in the second example from Nehemia, just as it does not exist in the first in 1 Kings.

I don't see the special association of verse 27 with this phrase, since from verse 26 already Jerobam design became clear. Further, the auxillary use of LeV, as WaYoMer B'LiBo etc, need not be translated, the last simply means -- he thought. Thus  my translation would improve by simplifying it  to "he invented" , "you invented them"  respectively.

Uri

"George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel at juno.com> wrote:

wrote:
> On 30/08/2004 17:31, Uri Hurwitz wrote:
>
> >Peter Kirk
> wrote:
> >
> > 1 Kings 12:33, "on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, in the
> month
> >that HE ALONE HAD DEVISED".
> >
> >A more accurate translation of the highlighted biblical words above
> -- )a$er bada)
> >milibo -- would be "that he had invented in his heart" ; the same
> phrase occurs also in Neh. 6:8.
> >
> >BD -- "empty, idle, (invented) talk" as in Job 11:3 and elsewhere
> may well originate from the above.
> >

> I should have said that I was quoting NRSV. Anyway, the point seems
>
> clear, that Jeroboam had decided for himself on the date of this
> feast,
> and that it was not (in the view of the Deuteronomic author) one of
> the
> feasts prescribed by YHWH.
> --
> Peter Kirk
>
> ---------------------------------

Uri,

I'm not sure what your objection is here. What do you do with

)a:$eR_B.fDf) MiL.iB.oD [Qere: MiL.iB.oW ?

If you follow the Qere, then it would seem that it implies fairly clearly
that it was Jereboam's determination rather than (according to the
Deuteronomistic historian) YHWH's command. This is due to the contrast
with 12.27 where it states

W:$fB L"B Hf(fM HaZ.eH )eL_)a:DoN"YHeM )eL_R:HaB:(fM MeLeK_Y:HW.DfH

and thus contrasts the "heart of the people" with "his [Jeroboam's]
heart."

george
gfsomsel