[b-hebrew] Thera quote

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 19:26:57 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/27/2004 2:09:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kwrandolph at email.com writes:

> What did Josephus know about the Hebrew calandar? We have indication that
> it had ceased to be used 500 years before Josephus. Even in Tanakh, the
> post-exilic writings named the months according to Aramaic names, indicating that
> the Hebrew calandar was already then not being used, let alone centuries
> later. That will also explain why for your claim that most historical mentions of
> Hebrew religious feasts don’t coincide with the first and seventh months.

This is easily answered.  The Torah does not mention any months by
names--only numbers, just as the ancient Egyptians did until quite late.  However,
Josephus can have known that the month once known by a number came to be called
"Pharmouti" and the new calendar of the Hebrews, which was both a lunar and a
solar one, had a month with a number that later came to be called "Nisan".
"Aviv" perhaps refers to the spring soltice, although I have nothing firm to say
about that subject.