[b-hebrew] Thera quote

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Aug 27 17:09:09 EDT 2004

Michael:

What did Josephus know about the Hebrew calandar? We have indication that it had ceased to be used 500 years before Josephus. Even in Tanakh, the post-exilic writings named the months according to Aramaic names, indicating that the Hebrew calandar was already then not being used, let alone centuries later. That will also explain why for your claim that most historical mentions of Hebrew religious feasts don’t coincide with the first and seventh months.

As for the time of the year for the Exodus, we have numerous references that it was about the time of harvest in Egypt. But I think it would be hard to prove anything tighter.

Karl W. Randolph.