[b-hebrew] An interesting translation of Psalms 143:2a

moon at mail.sogang.ac.kr moon at mail.sogang.ac.kr
Mon Aug 23 22:01:29 EDT 2004

> Hi,
>
> Boyarin, in his book "A Radical Jew", translated Psalms 143:2a as follows (p.119):
>
>  Do not reproach your servant with statue, [for no living being will be justified
>                                              before you]
>
> The usual translation is: do not enter into judgement with your servant.
>
> The original is:
>
>   AL-TABOAH BEMISFAT ETH-YABDEQA.
>

> BDB says about ETH:
>

> ETH marks an accusative in other relations than that of
> direct object to a verb: (a) with verbs of motion (very rare)
> denoting the goal.
>
> So AL-TABOAH BEMISFAT ETH-YABDEQA can be taken to mean:
>
>   Do not come unto your servant with statue.
>
> So, Boyarin's rendering seems possible. On the other hand, verb BOH seems to
> go with prep. BE more  naturally. BDB says about BE:
>
>  with verbs of motion, when the movement to a place results in rest in it,
>  INTO: after BAH, NATAN, SHALAQ.
>
> Though  MISHFAT is not a place, but a process, I think entering into a process
makes sense as much as entering into  a place. So, the traditional translation
clearly makes sense.

I am interested in Boyarin suggested his translation because of the way
143:2b is quoted in Rom 3:20a:

 No flesh will be justified from works of Torah before him.

Paul adds "from works of Torah" to the original. But if we take Psalms 143:2a
as Boyarin suggests, this addition makes sense. In the context, Psalms 143:2b
can be taken to mean "no living being will be justified before you [
JUDGED WITH STATUE]". From this, it seems natural for Paul to write
" No flesh will be justified from works of Torah before him."

Any comments?