[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 16 16:21:03 EDT 2004

On 16/08/2004 20:23, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

>Thank you, Trevor and Peter:
>
>On 8/16/04 10:16 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
>

>>RT is not just about spoken language. Maybe this was the original
>>application, but its principles have been extended and applied to
>>written texts.
>>

>Do you have any reading suggestions? I would like to see this applied to
>texts.

Well, try at least the bibliography of my article (my website link
below) if not the text, and see "Translation and Relevance" (2nd
edition) by E-A Gutt.

>I wasn't trying to be fair. A.Nyland is a self proclaimed "traditional
>grammar" aficionado. ...

Because of certain past personal history I want to be scrupulously fair
to Dr Nyland.

>Thanks Peter and Trevor, sounds like we agree. The applicability of
>Relevance Theory to Biblical Hebrew texts is subject to significant
>restrictions. I wonder how these restrictions impact a project like Reinier
>de Blois' dictionary?

I will leave Reinier to answer for his own project. The rather similar
project on which I have been working (see http://www.ktbh-team.org/) has
had a lot of input from cognitive linguists who are also experts on RT.
 From my own perspective, this input has been hard to assimilate; in
principle it should make for a very good product but in practice the
effort required to get there looks unrealistic. These experts have in
fact not appealed much to RT, more to other aspects of cognitive
linguistics e.g. from Langacker and Taylor.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/