[b-hebrew] Biblical Historicity ( Amalek)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 15 15:18:47 EDT 2004

On 15/08/2004 19:53, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> */Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>/* wrote, inter alia,:
> "My opinion would be that there are such people who
> believe that the Torah is generally accurate but not necessarily so in
> every historical detail. "
>
> Some would define this somewhat differently: by comparing the
> biblical  narratives to external sources, and from internal evidence
> in the texts themselves, the  biblical history of Early  Israel can be
> accepted in broad outline. This is contray to the minimalists' or the
> fundamentalists' views. And furthermore, it has nothing whatsoever to
> do with "divine" innspiration, guidance or origin.

This puts these people in the category of "those who do not believe in
the "Divine Origin" of the Torah", and close to those who "believe that
it is (in general) accurate (e.g. Marianne)".

But the statement of mine which you quote relates only to "anyone who
believes in the "Divine Origin" of the Torah". Are you saying that there
are such people who reject the fundamentalist position? They certainly
would not accept that "it has nothing whatsoever to do with "divine"
innspiration, guidance or origin".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/